Aurelia Grozajova

by Sherif Awad

Aurelia Grozajova
© Courtesy of Aurelia Grozajova
-I loved sports, generally most of them. When I was a child, the opportunities to be involved in specific sport were poor, so at least work around our village house, plus helping with livestock breeding gave me handy ground for my later bodybuilding career. I hasten to add the simple nutrition from my childhood was also big advantage the whole time. I could not put on weight for ages and that was my first idea to go to the gym. I was tall and tiny when I was twenty-three years-old (178 cm, 46 Kg) which was a big problem that bothered me. I wanted to do something for my body-shape: to be strong and fit. I grew up in a very small village north of Slovakia. There were my two parents in addition to five brothers and two sisters. I was born last of this small family. On elementary school, physical education my favorite subject among all subjects but possibilities to take up sports seriously weren't so good. Only one situation that I remember: when I was chosen after making test of body skills or fitness level at the beginning of the school year on physical education to train skiing at the ski school that was located close to my village. There were great conditions to train skiing at a distance of High Tatras Mountains. However, our lack of money and decision of my mother were against that step.

-My first deep interest in sports was in high school. It was an era of aerobics which only started to be popular in Slovakia. After seeing movies like HEAVENLY BODIES and FLASHDANCE, I and my schoolmate we took up aerobic lessons. In my case, it was a disaster. Also karate lessons we attended a few times. (the same result truly, nothing for me). That time, I didn't have a lot of info about bodybuilding because there were only a few fitness gyms where was possible to lift weights. Most of them belonged to soccer or ice hockey clubs. Because of these elements, I did not have any exact role model at that age.
-At the beginning of my partactive, it wasn't serious workout but I loved that so my husband helped me with nutrition plan and weekly training routine. Also, he was always and he is still my spotter in the gym to protect me against injuries. He read info about food calories, vitamins, other supplements and new products on the market. He had to look up many different resources like books, magazines, etc… I wasn't able to put on weight for a long time, but regular training, regular food (each 3-4 hours also during night) was a challenge and so I gradually  started to look more athletic. I achieved after many, many years 75 Kg off session and 66-68 Kg on session.
-Not only my motto: Victory always starts in the gym. I feel that I chose the right sport for me. My motivation is probably from heaven. For me only to be on stage as an IFBB competitor is the big achievement. To be a bit famous is nice but more satisfaction is to look and feel good and to be able to train into much younger community than I am.

Aurelia Grozajova
© Courtesy of Aurelia Grozajova
-Gender and bodybuilding is not a problem only in Slovakia but it is across Europe where there is not enough serious support for female bodybuilding as a sport. A better situation exists in the US. Honestly: People in Europe are not passionate to see women with huge muscles and so female bodybuilders are always inappropriate in most sports magazines. Nowadays, there are new categories in IFBB amateur and PRO divisions and of course there is a lot of selections among bikini, figure, fitness and physique categories which are preferred.
-I am a regular reader of websites related to my sport in Slovakia. From what I read, female bodybuilding doesn't exist there and neither women physique competitors are not on the scene. Only Bikini, Fitness, Body Fitness – figure categories are on the scene in Slovakia.  It is too sad.
-Definitely my first bronze medal in the heavyweight category from abroad. It was European Championships. My husband cried behind backstage. Next gold medal from European Championships (only me from Slovakia got that title in Heavy Weight Category), silver medal from World Games of non-Olympics sports, silver medals from World Championships and many gold medals from Slovakia Championships. At the end the Bronze Medal, Women Physique, Category Masters, in Pro division.
-I am lucky, because my husband is long term Ice hockey player, so he knows what sports is all about. He has helped me from the very beginning up to now with everything what was necessary. It is very important to have somebody who can put advice regarding discipline etc. The obstacles which occurred almost every day are better solved together. He knows my daily routine in and out of the gym, he is only and the best trainer.
-I feel I chose the right sport for me. If someone feels the same as I do there is any reason not to do that. Do not let someone to discourage you to go for it. I obtained many certificates which are useful on the job market like: personal trainer, sport massage therapist, kettlebell certificate, TRX certificate etc. That is what I am qualified to be but maybe a bodyguard or bouncer in night club is also possible to do.
-I have taken a break from competing (after almost 19 years). My body told me to stop dieting and having more time for recovery. So, I am going to be one year off the stage. Funny, that my workout is longer and harder like before, of course accordingly to my age only without thoughts going to diet phase and compete.